15-Year Master Plan
Harnett County, Comprehensive Parks & Recreation Master Plan
Motivated by rapid growth and underserved communities, Harnett County sought a new Comprehensive Parks and Recreation Master Plan that would guide their department with a framework for implementing new enhancements to their park system.
McAdams’ Planning + Design Team provided park, greenway and blueway planning services for the Harnett County Parks and Recreation Department to develop facility, policy and management recommendations for a 15-year planning horizon. The process included an existing inventory and evaluation, trends analysis, robust public input process, recommendations through 2030 and a prioritized action plan with associated costs and funding strategies. The public input process was designed to be all inclusive, engaging and reach rural parts of the County.
The resulting Master Plan document focused on several priorities, including:
- preserving the rural and agrarian vernacular of the County;
- enhancing the parks, greenway and blueway system to promote economic vitality;
- preserving natural resources;
- improving the level of service offered by the Harnett County Parks and Recreation Department to be competitive with similar size and scale communities; and
- ensuring residents and future generations alike have equitable and frequent access to recreation facilities.